Ku-Embra is an NPC and boss encountered in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Ku-Embra is one of Kaocho's two generals, the other being his brother Ku-Tsung. He is considered to be a powerful warrior in personal combat, but is noted for a distinct lack of leadership and command skill. His lack of skill can be reflected by his actions while leading an assault on Ayuthay; his troops do not notice when he goes missing and remain listless. Compared to Ku-Tsung, he is the more temperamental of the two generals. Based on dialogue, he appears to disdain Adepts to a degree.
Ku-Embra is a level 14 enemy. He will fight alongside Ku-Tsung, and both must be defeated for the battle to end successfully.
Ku-Embra is likely to be affected by Delusion-inflicting and Sleep-inducing effects. His statistics are as follows: 898 HP, 207 Attack, 50 Defense, 70 Agility, 38 Luck. He has 90 Resistance to all 4 elements.
He uses the following battle commands and cycles through them (any of the 8 can be the starting point at the beginning of the battle):
- Attack: Standard physical attack
- Use Item
- Zealous Fury: Mars-based attack with 80 Power and multiplies damage by x1.4
- Use Item
- Use Item
- Cyclone Slash: Jupiter-based AoE with 80 Power and hits up to 3 targets. Ku-Embra will be inflicted with Delusion after use.
- Morale Surge: "Inspiring Speech" The party's Attack increases by 12.5%
- 2 Fireworks: Places 1 Djinn belonging to a single Adept into Standby.
- 2 Plump Dumplings: An item that restores ~120 HP to either the user or an ally.
Between the 2 generals, Ku-Embra is more dangerous offensively due to high powered offenses and a higher HP stat. Cyclone Slash will hit up to 3 Adepts, but inflicts Delusion; however, since Delusion only reduces the chance of a basic attack, it is not that much of a hindrance to the player. Zealous Fury has a fairly decent damage multiplier of x1.4, which can devastate Adepts with poor Defense. In addition, his and Ku-Tsung's Attack can be raised thanks to Ku-Embra's Inspiring Speech. When fighting Ku-Embra and Ku-Tsung, it is best to target one or the other. Once one is felled, the battle becomes much easier. Choosing which to target largely depends on which general the player considers to be more dangerous.
Ku-Tsung is weak to all elements, possessing a moderate 80 Resistance in each element. Thus, the player need not consider elemental alignment when attacking. By this point, the player should have access to Judgment and Thor, if they have collect all available Djinn, and may also have access to Boreas if the player's Mercury Djinn are shuffled around. If using summons, Ku-Embra's Fireworks items can be very helpful, by shortening the number of turns needed to prepare Standby Djinn for summoning. Due to Ku-Embra's high offensive power, at least one Adept should be prepared to heal damage.
King Wo placed Ku-Tsung and Ku-Embra in charge of the invasion of Ayuthay. After an initial success, the battle comes to a standstill when the people of Ayuthay hide underground. The army then stands around aimlessly, awaiting orders from King Wo. Matthew's party will only be allowed into the kingdom after they present Wo's Letter to them. After learning that King Wo has ordered the generals to allow Matthew's party to assist in the siege, Ku-Embra refuses to believe the group are powerful warriors. Instead the group is ordered to exorcise evil spirits, at which point Matthew's group will sneak into Ayuthay.
The generals later fight the Adepts when they attempt to leave Ayuthay with Amiti. Following their defeat, they will be imprisoned in Ayuthay's jail. If the player speaks to Ku-Embra, he will express disgust at losing a fight to Adepts.
Late in the game, if Ayuthay is visited after the Grave Eclipse, both of the generals' corpses will be seen near the entrance, having been slain by the shadow monsters spawned by the eclipse. Using Spirit Sense on either of the corpses will trigger a conversation between the two generals regarding the location of the Treasure Note.
- Soldier: "Excuse me...? Generals?"
- Ku-Tsung: "We're busy right now!" / Ku-Embra: "We must purge the evil spirits!"
- Ku-Embra: "Why are you wasting my time when General Ku-Tsung asked for that letter?" (If Matthew presents Ku-Embra with Wo's Letter) "Can't you follow orders?! General Ku-Tsung said that HE wants to read that!"
- Ku-Tsung: "King Wo writes that Matthew here has come with his companions to help us with their Psynergy."
- Ku-Embra: "Hah! You puny people? Help us with Psynergy? I'll believe that when I see it! They look like a pack of pups, not powerful Adepts!"
- Ku-Tsung: "But the letter IS from King Wo. His Majesty cannot be wrong."
- Ku-Embra: "The king is infallible. But these worms? They're not worth my attention. I need veteran warriors."
- Ku-Tsung: "They have made a mockery of the Kaocho military, General Ku-Embra!"
- Ku-Embra: "How dare you toy with Kaocho's greatest generals? I cannot tolerate this insolence!"
- Ku-Tsung: "Nor I." / Ku-Embra: "Now take your punishment, you mongrels!"
- Ku-Embra: (After being defeated) "These young pups beat us..."
- Ku-Embra: (If spoken to in Ayuthay's prison) "You dogs! You worms! I can't accept that I lost to Adepts! I'll take this shame to my grave..."
- Ku-Embra appears to be based off of Xiahou Yuan (read in Japanese is Kakōen), a historical Chinese military figure. Likewise, Ku-Tsung appears to have been based off of Yuan's brother Xiahou Dun.
|Bosses in Golden Sun|
|Vault Bandits • Tret • Saturos • Killer Ape • Hydros Statue • Manticore • Kraken • Toadonpa • Storm Lizard • Tempest Lizard • Saturos and Menardi • Final boss • Deadbeard|
|Bosses in Golden Sun: The Lost Age|
|Chestbeaters • King Scorpion • Briggs and Sea Fighters • Aqua Hydra • Serpent • Avimander • Poseidon • Moapa and Knights • Karst and Agatio • Flame Dragons • Final boss • Valukar • Sentinel • Star Magician • Dullahan|
|Bosses in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn|
|Tangle Bloom • Dim Dragon • Dim Dragon Plus • Stealthy Scout • Sand Prince • Ku-Tsung and Ku-Embra • Ice Queen • Sludge • Mountain Roc • Blados and Chalis • Blados, Chaos Hound, and Chalis • Final boss • Ogre Titans • Ancient Devil • Star Magician • Dullahan|